Sunday, July 11, 2010

Early Prediction

I talked to David about this and we agreed it was too soon. However, I can't help but make early predictions about the upcoming NBA season...well at least for the East. I know, I know there is a lot that still needs to unfold, but with the majority of big named players signed I think I have just enough information to foresee how things shall unfold.

15) Toronto Raptors: They sucked with Bosh so I shouldn't be surprised to see them suck even more without him. They've already lost Hedo, but they did get Leandro Barbosa which is a good addition to the team. Ed Davis has played well in the Summer League games and Demar Derozen should have a bigger impact on the team than last year. But you know a team is in trouble when they say their new leader is Jarret Jack.

14) Detroit Pistons: This team could be a playoff team, but I just don't like this teams makeup. Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva are extra players. What I mean is these guys should be features and not star players. Unfortunately Detroit has them as stars. I see them clearing themselves of that 04 Pistons team completely by trading Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince either before the season starts or at the trade deadline. I think this is a definite lottery team and I think once they realize that the tanking will begin.

13) Washington Wizards: John Wall will do wonders for the Wizards, but this team is still a year away. I like getting Kirk Hinrich to teach Wall, but the backcourt of Gilbert and Wall just does not do it for me. JaVale McGee is looking like a real good player for the Wizards and the development of Andray Blatche should continue, but in the loaded east (Wow....it feels good to say that again) I don't think they will be able to compete this year.

12) New Jersey Nets: Well their is only one way to go for New Jersey. They have good young players like Devin Harris and Brook Lopez. Courtney Lee is a solid two guard who is in the mold of Kerry Kittles. I like Derrick Favors even though he hasn't looked all that great in the Summer League games so far. I love the hiring of Avery Johnson and that alone is worth 5-10 more wins. This team could compete for a playoff spot especially if they continue to make moves (They just signed Anthony Morrow) that fits their team's scheme.

11) Indiana Pacers: First off I think this is a really solid team. Paul George and Magnum Rolle look like the real deal and "Born Ready" Lance Stephenson might be the point guard that they need. However, I still think this team is not deep enough to make it in to the playoffs. They have a lack of depth at every position, but especially at the point guard spot. I think with next year's draft being so point guard heavy, being in the lottery is exactly what they need to get back to the Miller time days.

10) Cleveland Cavaliers: It hurts to put them here and I hope I am wrong, but an Antwan Jamison lead team has never been very good. I think more than anything Byron Scott needs for this team to be in the lottery. If Byron does get this team to the playoffs it only going to stunt his growth. He needs superstars to get him back to the top and this team has great roll players, but that superstar hole is extremely large. They have athleticism with JJ Hickson, Anderson, Moon, and Parker and that might be enough to squeak them into the 8th or 7th seed. However, I just don't see it. Good luck Cleveland!

9) Charlotte Bobcats: This is probably wrong, but it might be right. I know Larry Brown coached teams don't usually take a step back after just making the playoffs, but this team hasn't gotten better, but everyone else has. I hope for MJ's sanity that they do make the playoffs, but I don't see it.

8) New York Knicks: Before the David Lee trade I didn't think much of this team, but after the trade I started to see the sunny side of the Knicks. I like where they are going. If Amare stays healthy along with Anthony Randolph, this team becomes very scary. They could be the old Phoenix Suns, but in New York. Danilo will continue to grow as a NBA player, and the addition of Raymond Felton should sure up that hole at PG. New York will be motivated to make the playoffs and that should be enough to put them in a first round playoff matchup.

7) Philadelphia Sixers: Call me a homer, but I believe this was a playoff team last year, but they just had a crappy system. I know they can't shoot, but they can play D and run the floor and that's what Doug Collins likes to do. Eddie Jordan didn't believe in defense and that's what cost the Sixers last year. Their offense depends on their defense and no fast breaks basically means no points for the Sixers. Jrue Holiday is the real deal and Evan Turner will catch on as the season progresses. The addition of Hawes and Nocioni will be huge for this team and will propel them back into the playoffs.

6) Atlanta Hawks: Basically the same team with a new and unproven coach. I like Mike Woodson and I think losing him will cost ATL in the seeding. Having Joe Johnson is huge for their development, but in order for them to make it over the top they need more shooters and an offensive presence at the 5 spot.

5) Milwaukee Bucks: David likes them way more than me and he might be right. Same coach and much more improved roster. I absolutely love the addition of CDR and Corey. Redd won't be back until February, but what else is new? If they can pull off a McGrady type deal with Redd my expectations for this team change dramatically. A healthy Bogut is key, but not as much as last year. The staple of bigs they got in the draft was awesome. All of them should contribute this season and more people will fear the deer.

4) Chicago Bulls: Love getting Boozer and Korver. This team is looking legit. Rose and Boozer can be just like Williams and Boozer but better. Having Korver come off the bench as their sniper is just like having Steve Kerr back in those championship days. I like coach Thibodeau a lot. I wanted the Sixers to hire him two seasons ago and I think he's a chip off the old Celtics block. He preaches defense and efficient offense 24/7. They still need to fill out their roster, but right now I believe their core is as good as anyone in the league.

3) Boston Celtics: The Boston Three-Party is back. And Doc is back too! I like the Jermaine O'Neal signing, but losing Tony Allen is a tough blow. I like having Luke Harangody coming off the bench and if Avery Bradley can step it up than maybe losing Tony Allen won't be as bad. The bench is deteriorating and so is the big three, which means maybe Boston has ran out of luck.

2) Miami Heat: I question this very much but, how could you not put them in the top two. They have two great players and a very good low post player, but that's it. Mike Miller is okay, but getting Udonis Haslem back is what put them in the two spot for me. Without Udonis they would fall to the three seed. Dexter Pittman is a big body that should do wonders for them, but who else is on that team? I mean Jerry Stackhouse announced publicly that he'd play for the minimum for the Heat, but I mean will they have to ransack the 2000 All-Star team to come up with a bench? They've reportedly talked to Juwan Howard and Shaq and they might as well throw in Stephon Mabury, Allen Iverson, and Tracy McGrady. It takes a complete team to win a title and I don't think they have it. Also I don't trust Erik Spolestra to be that championship coach that they need.

1) Orlando Magic: Great roster, and coach. Howard should continue to improve his offensive game and Nelson is very good point guard and Rashard Lewis is the perfect inside/outside player that they need. They also have a deep bench that got much deeper with the addition of Chris Duhon. If they can sign Matt Barnes and JJ Redick back that will go a long way in Orlando's run to the title. I think Orlando so far has the best combination of change and stability in the East.

Yes this is early and it is a very fluid subject, but I had to get this off my chest. Now I can sleep well...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment