Saturday, July 10, 2010

WTF LBJ

This is more so in a response to what my esteemed colleague and newly married friend already stated. This move smells more like the 04 Lakers than the 08 Celtics. It's a move of desperation at such a young age. To me this move hurts on so many fronts, but on two particular fronts.

1: What happened to competition?

When I buy a new sports game I always pick the highest rated team versus the worst rated team and play that game, but as the lower rated team. I like to test myself and see if I am good enough to beat the best team possible. I think LeBron would pick the higher rated team, just to guarantee himself a win. David is right, we care about earning titles not just winning them. I mean what happen to wanting to beat the best to be the best. I understand when guys like Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Charles Barkley started hoping teams just to win a title because they were in the Twilight of their careers and had nothing missing from their hall of fame resume's but a title. LBJ, Bosh, and Wade have many years to become great players and anchor their own title. For pete sake's Wade already did it! I also understand wanting to play with your friends, but this isn't high school basketball people! I mean Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were friends when they played, but I bet you Larry would never go play for the Lakers and Magic wouldn't play for the Celtics. By LeBron going to play with Wade and Bosh in Miami he proved to me that he doesn't care about his basketball legacy which leads to my next point.

2: RIP to Wade county and King James.

When Wade, Bosh, and LBJ played on team USA in 2008 Wade's numbers were 16pts, roughly 2asts, and 4rbs. LBJ had roughly 16pts, 4asts, and 5rbs. Do those numbers look like MVP numbers? No, they look like Andre Igoudala numbers. John Barry actually made a very good point in a discussion with Michael Wilbon. He said, "Wade and LeBron can no longer play basketball the way that they have been playing and for that I am sad as a basketball fan." I completely agree. Remember when Wade completely took over the 2006 NBA Finals and was the clear cut best player on the court. Or how about when LBJ scored 25 straight points against the Pistons and winning a pivotal game 5 on the road? These are moments of greatness built by great players in great moments. Can anyone tell me the greatest individual Team USA moment? I didn't think so. Wade and LeBron are going to have to be watered down versions of their superselves in order to win a title. And who suffers? Me and the entire world. LBJ and Wade have decided that being considered one of the greatest isn't that important to them and that's fine...if you're Robert Horry or Steve Kerr. These guys are suppose to be future hall of famers. They are suppose to want to put their own stamp on the league's history. I know people criticized Kobe for driving away Shaq, but I do respect his desire to be considered one of the greatest. LBJ just want's to be one of the guys and that's sad. Wade can technically still be the same Wade since this is his team (Yes, it's Wade's team. He built the Heat so LBJ is coming to be second fiddle to Wade), but if he wants to win Wade can no longer be Wade.

Sidenote: Who the fudge is Chris Bosh? He's a great player? He's alright? I mean he's played in some All-Star games and made the 08 USA team, but so did Michael Redd and no one is calling Redd great. I use to like Bosh, because he was an under appreciated player trying to win in Toronto. Somehow we went from one extreme to the next. Look Bosh is just about as good as Pau, which isn't saying much. Pau's a good player but I hold off the word great when I think about Pau. Honestly I think Miami would be better off with a guy like Boozer or a 100% guaranteed to be healthy Amare. If you think Pau is soft than Bosh must be air. Bosh is to tall to not want to bang, and in the East where guys like Perkins, Howard, Bogut, Horford, and the whole Bulls front line like to hit people in the mouth, Bosh is going to have to firm up if he want's a title. It took Pau some time and for Kobe to basically ride him before he could be tough enough to win. I don't know if Bosh can do that, which is why I don't think this team is built to win and all of this sacrifice of talent will be for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment